In our company we divide analytics into low- and high level.
Low-level analytics is conducted by specialists in a narrow fields - they research users' behavior on the website, effectiveness of individual marketing campaign and monitor very specific processes. Their actions have the tactical dimension, which means that they perform on specific tasks in a relatively short period of time.
High-level analytics is carried out by me - an entrepreneur who equally acts as a team manager responsible for analytics, marketing and frontend in our company. In simple terms, my task is to monitor implementation of business objectives, find threats and developments opportunities, create strategies (short- and long-term) combining all actions in the company, from work of developer, marketing, analytics to sales.
Low-level analytics is implemented in 4 dimensions:
- Behavior analysis in which we research user behavior on our website. We check how they use our interface, what causes problems, what they are interested in, what they click and what they skip, how deep they scroll the site, how much time they spend on it and many other actions. It allows us to constantly improve the interface, content, learning algorithms, automation and all other aspects related to user behavior. This dimension can be fully implemented through events. I will explain them in details later.
- Business objectives - that is downloading our tools, sales, registrations, subscriptions and all other aspects defining whether our company realize the established guidelines.
- External marketing campaigns - when we conduct activities going beyond our portal (Facebook ads, adwords, sponsored articles, affiliate program), we measure precisely how much money it has brought and what is return on their investments.
- Automate user paths - are used to improve learning algorithm and to guide the user though our service according to his need and the level of interest.
High-level analytics is implemented with KPI reports (Key Performance Indicator). They are the most important statistic about our company compiled in one analytical panel. This allows us to monitor the implementation established objectives, react quickly to crises and find new development possibilities.
In this section I took similar approach to section of automation, that's why if you read the previous article, I hope you don't mind me that following introduction sounds familiar.
In order to fully understand potential of analytics and comprehend it well, it's best to work on examples and put them into practice straightaway.
Therefore this section is divided into 2 parts:
- In the first part I will guide you through short and easy tutorial, where you can quickly implement simple analytic mechanisms on our example site.
- In the second part I will describe in detail analytics, that we implemented in our company
In mentioned tutorial you will learn some technical issues and have to touch the code. Yes I know, it sound scary - but it is not! All you need to do is repeat the steps described by me (they are also shown as a training video) and you can do all the steps without any problems.
You do not have to analyze all the technical details thoroughly. It is enough that you understand them at the conceptional level - what they are used for and how to use them.
I always stress such approach in the case non-technical people I have had opportunity to work with.
Almost always laments appear.
- “O my God, this is code! I am a marketer / salesman / businessman and I don't want anything to do with this devilish thing. Get lost” - my interlocutor screams making the sign of the cross with one hand and waving the garlic with other.
Why I insist on this? Because:
- When you start getting to know new issues from the technical point, the understanding of this become much more comprehensive, and you you will get to know their full capabilities and be able to use their potential much better.
- When you find these things to be not so difficult, stop being afraid of technical issues and maybe (what happens very often) will love it, and begin to develop in this direction.
- During the conversation with a technical person, you won't let anybody to sell you a bill of goods so easily.
- This is exciting. Without any exaggeration - programming, automation, analytics and broadly defined technical issues are great fun. I would do this even in my free time - If I had free time :(
Previous post Next post
Spreed the word: Add comment